In 2001 Laurance S. Rockefeller engaged D. R. Horne & Company (DRH) to propose a long-range plan of public use for his 1,106-acre JY Ranch. Mr. Rockefeller requested an inspirational vision for the property that would promote outdoor recreation while serving as a model of environmental stewardship for the National Park Service.
DRH worked closely with Mr. Rockefeller to develop and implement a plan that included ecological restoration, an extensive trail network, and a new 7,500-square-foot LEED Platinum interpretive center.The Preserve was donated by Mr. Rockefeller to the National Park Service, subject to a management plan and endowment to maintain the integrity of the project.
As Owner’s Representative, DRH led the entire process to create the Preserve, including:
- Visioning & Conceptual Master Planning
- Environmental Resource Assessments & Reclamation Planning
- Management of Architects, Landscape Architects, Engineers
- Budget Projections
- Project Management & Construction Oversight
- Exhibit Design & Installation
- Public Relations Strategies